The iRide Sprockids initiative is designed to provide community leaders with the training and support they need to start community after-school cycling programs in their neighborhood and help build safe and fun opportunities for local participants. Cycling BC’s iRide Development grants are available to the public and are perfect for teachers, parents, youth cyclists, industry employees, and cycling enthusiasts looking to make a difference in their region. Applicants must be 16 or older (1).
2019 grants are now closed
Congratulations to our 2019 grant recipients:
|Gabriola Island||Scott Colbourne|
|Gabriola Island||Julian Wilhelmson|
|Gabriola Island||Janna Rist|
|Campbell River||Noni Erickson|
All submissions will receive a follow-up email, and successful recipients will receive notification as soon as our 2019 budget is finalized (December)
Applications open October 15th, 2018, and are reviewed on a first come, first serve basis. A maximum of 2 leaders per new program can apply for a grant. One backpack will be awarded per new program. Additional leaders are still required to take the 1-day NCCP course priced at $85. Please note, iRide grants are also available for any existing NCCP coach or Sprockids-trained leader, providing alternative insurance options for existing Sprockids programs.
- Current Cycling BC Provincial Ride Membership ($60)
- Criminal Record Check
- Lead 6 sessions by year end (minimum)
- Sign a written contract including delivery expectations (2)
- Complete NCCP & iRide Sprockids Leader Training (3)
iRide Development Grant:
To attract leaders with a variety of experience, a number of categories are available. Recipients are expected to invest $50-$150 dollars in the first year. In the 2nd year and beyond, recipients can access insurance and admin support for a nominal fee based on their age.
New iRide Sprockids Leaders
If You Are Already Trained
|14-18 yr||19+ yr||As an NCCP Coach||As a Sprockids Leader|
|Cycling BC Investment:||$1000||$850||$550||$600|
(1-day: Community Initiation)
|Sprockids Training or 2nd Course
(1-day: Methods & Manuals)
(Covers Leaders & Participants)
(Cones, Ropes, First Aid, Manuals)
(Registration, Permits, Promo)
Program Fee Structure (Template):
If you wish to charge your participants for your extra-curricular program, Cycling BC recommends matching your price with local after-school care rates. For example, two hours sessions charging $15/day equates to an hourly rate of $7.50 per child, comparable to after-school care but with the added benefits of outdoor exercise and improved cycling literacy. Cycling BC does not take a cut of these fees as this initiative is designed to help create income for community leaders and keep program fees as low as possible.
The below table illustrates a sample income for an 6-week program, per leader.
|# of Sessions||Total Hours||Leader Ratio||Price / Session||Leader Income||Program Fee|
|6 sessions||9 hrs||1:7||$12||$500||$72|
- Recipients aged 16-19 yrs old can lead their own sessions with oversight from a local iRide instructor or a school administrator.
- Recipients who cannot lead the minimum 6 sessions must return their iRide Backpack as received or provide equivalent compensation.
- Recipients who miss their scheduled training session without Cycling BC approval, forfeit their grant and $150 up-front fee.
- 2nd-year programs requesting a certificate of insurance for field permit applications will be subject to an additional $50 fee.