Ottawa, ON (June 19, 2020) – Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, Cycling Canada and our provincial and territorial cycling associations have been committed to making decisions in the interest of ensuring a safe sporting environment for our members and participants at all levels and in all parts of the country. While there are now varying signs of improvement in the pandemic across the country and some provinces are beginning to carefully roll out Return to Play frameworks, we continue to work with various local organizing committees to determine feasibility of hosting national-level events.
As of today, Cycling Canada is in a position to confirm the cancellation of the below Canadian Championship events, in addition to those national events already listed on our Events Status webpage:
- Canadian XCO MTB Championships – Hardwood Ski & Bike, ON
- Canadian DH MTB Championships – Kicking Horse Mountain Resort, BC
- Canadian XCM MTB Championships – St-Félicien, QC
Cycling Canada has consulted with each of the above local organizing committees extensively to review all relevant information regarding the decision to cancel these events, and supports these difficult decisions to cancel. For all of the above-listed cancelations, we are happy to announce that each of these organizations will plan to return to the National events calendar in 2021, with final dates to be confirmed in the coming months.
Listed below are the events which remain on the Cycling Canada National events calendar. Cycling Canada continues to work closely with local, provincial and federal public health officials regarding the execution of National calendar events. Each of the below events will be conducted only where deemed appropriate and safe to do so within public health guidelines.
- Canadian Road Championships (Elite/Jr/Para) – St. Georges, QC
- Canadian BMX Championships – Calgary, AB
September 5-6, 2020
- Grands Prix Cyclistes de Québec & Montréal – Québec City & Montreal, QC
September 11 & 13, 2020
- Canadian Cyclocross Championships & Bear Crossing GP UCI C2 – Langford, BC
November 21-22, 2020
- Canadian Track Championships (Elite/Jr/U17/Para/Masters) – Milton, ON
November 26-30, 2020
* Cycling Canada continues to work with the local organizing committee, provincial cycling federation and public health officials to determine the feasibility of hosting the Elite/Jr/Para Canadian Road Championships in September 2020 rather than August as initially planned. Further details will be published in the coming weeks as they become available.
Please note that each of the above-listed dates will remain tentative as the COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve. In all cases, Cycling Canada will make every effort to ensure that any adjustments to the above event dates or formats will be communicated no later than six weeks prior to the planned event date.
For an up-to-date list of cancelled or postponed events on the national calendar, please consult the event list on the Cycling Canada website. For more information regarding Cycling Canada recommendations, please consult our COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions.
Source: Cycling Canada
Information: Philippe Tremblay l Cycling Canada l 514-884-5782 l philippe.tremblay@
About Cycling Canada
Cycling Canada is one of the oldest national sport organizations in Canada and has one simple purpose: to inspire Canadians to cycle. Cycling Canada administers programs to promote and grow cycling across the country, hosts national and international events and manages the National Team in all levels of international competition.