Learn to Ride ROAD Clinics presented by Cycling BC
Coinciding with BC’s gradual Return to Sport and riding the recent resurgence of cycling in our communities, Cycling BC will be putting together a series of Adult Learn-to-Ride road cycling clinics this summer to help adult cyclists gain greater confidence in their individual and group riding skills.
The Learn to Ride clinics will focus on FUNdamental skills on Tuesday nights and intermediate skills on Thursday nights, 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM, from July 14th to August 27th. The clinics will be held at various locations in Burnaby, Vancouver, and Pitt Meadows, depending on the activity planned for the session. The Learn to Ride clinics will cover skills such as cornering, riding in a pack, climbing, and sprinting. The clinics will be led by NCCP Certified Coach, Ben Chaddock, Cycling BC’s Head of Coach Development and iRide Program Manager.
A Cycling BC membership is required to register for the clinics and Cycling BC members can sign up for individual clinics or take advantage of cost savings by signing up for the whole series.
In accordance with Cycling BC’s Return to Play guidelines, certain clinic activities that would typically require close contact with other riders will be modified to ensure the safety of all participants and adherence to current public health and safety protocols.
Time: 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM
Bike: Drop-handlebars only
Cost: $25/session or $125 for all 6 sessions
Cycling BC Membership Required: All participants will require a valid Cycling BC 2020 Membership
Location: The location will vary depending on the date of the clinic.
- Cycling BC Office, 8337 Eastlake Dr Unit 116, Burnaby, BC V5A 4W2 (map) (office map)
- Harris Road Park, 12474 Lougheed Hwy, Pitt Meadows, BC V3Y 2J4 (map)
- UBC (Boulevard Roasting), 5970 University Blvd, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z3 (map)
Learn to Ride 1: (Tuesdays)
- Cornering 1 – July 14 or Aug 11 @ Burnaby
- Pack Riding 1 – July 21 or Aug 18 @ Burnaby
- Climb & Sprint 1 – July 28 or Aug 25 @ UBC
Learn to Ride 2: (Thursdays)
- Cornering 2 – July 16 or Aug 13 @ Burnaby
- Pack Riding 2 – July 23 or Aug 20 @ Pitt Meadows
- Climb & Sprint 2 – July 30 or Aug 27 @ UBC
*If you identify as an #1 rider, but wish to complete all 6 clinics, please register for the #1 fundamental clinics in July and the #2 intermediate clinics in August.
Cycling BC Skill Levels
To help you choose the best clinic for your needs, please refer to the description of each program below. (updated July 31st)
- Learn-to-Ride 1:
- 1+ year of cycling experience
- 1st year joining a cycling club.
- I can stand & coast, tap my head while riding, signal while riding in a straight line.
- What will I learn at the clinic?
- Consolidate your fundamental cycling skills
- Prepare to ride in your club’s “C” group or beyond
- Learn-to-Ride 2:
- 2+ years of cycling experience
- 1st year trying an event: Gran Fondo or Competition
- I can lift the front wheel, roll-off the sidewalk, change gears silently, stop’n go without touching the ground
- What will I learn at the clinic?
- Refine your fundamental skills
- Consolidate intermediate skills
- Prepare to ride in your club’s “B” or “A” group, or participate in a larger group event
Skills: Vision, Leg Position, Brake Modulation, Late Braking
Games: Roosters, Team Relay, Box Stop, Skid Boards
Skills: Hips, Arms, Medium-Speed corners, Corner combinations
Games: Free Throw Loop, Obstacle Course
Pack Riding 1
Skills: Shoulder bumps, Riding 2s, Riding 3s, Tire Buzzing, riding 6s, riding 9s, Moving through the pack
Games: Zombies, Space Stations, Back to Front
Pack Riding 2
Skills: Buzzing tires, Single Paceline, Rotating Paceline, Echelon, Leadouts
Activities: Grass-based consolidation of above skills, open-road application of group riding formations
Climb & Sprint 1
Skills: Bike Movement, Low-Speed Technique, Seated and Standing Leg speed drills
Activities: 4-5x climbs up Camosun, 10-20 sprinting accelerations to pattern movement and practice drills
Climb & Sprint 2
Skills: Stretching and Activations for Optimal Performance, Climb & Sprint 1 recap
Activities: Back-to-Front climbing accelerations, Sprinting at-speed, Sprinting off a wheel, Sprinting from a leadout
Cancellation/Refund Policy: In the event you need to cancel or reschedule a clinic, please get in touch with us as soon as possible. Refunds will be given for cancellations made up to 72 hours before the clinic. Cancellations less than 72 hours before the clinic cannot be refunded. You will not receive a refund if you do not show up for a clinic you have registered for, so please check your schedule before committing. Please email us at email@example.com if you need to cancel. We reserve the right to cancel or reschedule clinics due to low attendance. In the event that your clinic is cancelled, we will contact you via email. You will have the option to reschedule for a different class date, receive a credit, or get a full refund. Thank you for your understanding.