Learn to Ride CYCLOCROSS Clinics presented by Cycling BC
Cycling BC is happy to announce our Learn-to-Ride CYCLOCROSS program in the Fraser Valley this August. Designed for adult riders (including parents!) and youth club participants aged 12+, the program provides an opportunity for cyclocross and gravel enthusiasts to improve their skills and build fitness at various locations on Sundays in late August.
The Learn to Ride clinics will cover skills such as cornering, braking, terrain management, dismounts for barriers and runups, and navigating ruts and soft-terrain. The clinics will be led by NCCP Certified Coach, Ben Chaddock, Cycling BC’s Head of Coach Development and iRide Program Manager. He will be joined by 3x Canadian National Cyclocross Champion, Michael van den Ham, and Canada’s longest-standing member of the Mountain Bike National Team, Sandra Walter.
There are a total of 27 spots available each session (updated July 29), with 3 groups of 9 athletes per coach.
- Learn-to-Ride 1 (Beginner & Intermediate) (12+ & adults, 1+ race seasons) (9 spots)
- Learn-to-Ride 2 (Intermediate & Advanced) (14+ & adults, 2+ race seasons) (18 spots)
Each session will include a coached skills clinic (9:30 am – 11:30 am) using the groupings above, followed by a guided fitness ride (12:30 pm – 2:30 pm) using 2-3 speed-based groups. The clinics are scheduled to take place at the following times and locations, and feature the below skills:
- Aug 16th – Heritage Park, Mission (MAP) – Cornering & Braking
- Aug 23rd – Clearbrook Park, Abbotsford (MAP) – Terrain & Barriers
- Aug 30th – Highland Drive (Yarrow Trails), Chilliwack (MAP) – Ruts & Runups
Group rides will be less structured and optional for participants. As a result, parents who are attending with young riders, we may ask you to stay with your child for the afternoon group ride to ensure we have the required ratio of adults and youth.
A Cycling BC membership is required to register for the clinics and Cycling BC members can sign up for individual clinics or register for the whole series.
In accordance with Cycling BC’s Return to Play guidelines, certain clinic activities that would typically require close contact with other riders will be modified to ensure the safety of all participants and adherence to current public health and safety protocols.
Skills Clinic Details:
Time: 9:30 AM – 11:30 AM
Bike: Drop-handlebars only (cyclocross or gravel bike)
Cost: $25/session or $75 for all 3 sessions
Fitness Ride Details:
Time: 12:30 PM – 2:30 PM
Cost: FREE (must have participated in AM Skills Clinic).
Cycling BC Skill Levels
To help you choose the best clinic for your needs, please refer to the description of each program below. (updated July 31st)
- Learn-to-Ride 1:
- 1+ year of cycling experience
- 1st year joining a cycling club.
- I can stand & coast, tap my head while riding, signal while riding in a straight line.
- What will I learn at the clinic?
- Consolidate your fundamental cycling skills
- Prepare to ride in your club’s “C” group or beyond
- Learn-to-Ride 2:
- 2+ years of cycling experience
- 1st year trying an event: Gran Fondo or Competition
- I can lift the front wheel, roll-off the sidewalk, change gears silently, stop’n go without touching the ground
- What will I learn at the clinic?
- Refine your fundamental skills
- Consolidate intermediate skills
- Prepare to ride in your club’s “B” or “A” group, or participate in a larger group event
Cornering & Braking
Skills: Vision, Leg Position, Hips, Arms, Brake Modulation, Late Braking
Games: Roosters, Team Relay, Box Stop, Skid Boards
Terrain & Barriers
Skills: Slow-speed skills, sidehill terrain, turns on terrain; dismounting, remounting, barriers
Games: What time is it Mr. Wolf? (track stands), KOM/QOM (High-Marking), Scooter, Bats & Cats
Ruts & Runups
Skills: Body position, vision, and gear selection in sand, shoulder carry, high carry, dismounts at speed/turn/off-camber
Games: Tower of Power, Go Fro (frisbee relay)
Cancellation/Refund Policy: In the event you need to cancel or reschedule a clinic, please get in touch with us as soon as possible. Refunds will be given for cancellations made up to 72 hours before the clinic. Cancellations less than 72 hours before the clinic cannot be refunded. You will not receive a refund if you do not show up for a clinic you have registered for, so please check your schedule before committing. Please email us at email@example.com if you need to cancel. We reserve the right to cancel or reschedule clinics due to low attendance. In the event that your clinic is cancelled, we will contact you via email. You will have the option to reschedule for a different class date, receive a credit, or get a full refund. Thank you for your understanding.